Part of the mine was flooded, causing blackouts shortly after 6 p.m. local time on Saturday when 29 miners were working at the mine in Hutubi County, Xinjiang.
In a separate report, state-run media company Global Times said that 12 of the miners who remain trapped have been in the mine since Sunday and are expected to be rescued, while another nine workers have not been found.
Chinese mines are among the deadliest in the world.
Ten gold miners were pronounced dead in January after an explosion in a mine in China’s coastal Shandong province.
In December last year, 23 people were killed after being trapped in a mine in the southwestern city of Chongqing. Three months earlier, 16 people died in a separate coal mine in the same area.
State media said on Sunday that rescue efforts at the Xinjiang mine are still ongoing.