On Monday, France’s chief prosecutor, Remy Heitz, said in a statement that the investigation carried out by French authorities failed to establish any complicity by French forces in the killings organized by Rwanda’s Hutu-led government.
Since the genocide, critics of France’s role have said that then-French President Francois Mitterrand did not prevent the massacres or even support the Hutu-led government.
Rwanda released a report last month saying France was aware that genocide was being prepared in Rwanda before the killings.
“The French government has a significant responsibility to make a predictable genocide possible,” said the Rwandan government in its 600-page report, produced by the US law firm Levy Firestone Muse and published on Rwanda’s main government website.
The Rwandan report followed the release of a separate French report released in March that exempted France from complicity in genocide. However, he noted that “France has long been embroiled in a regime that promotes racist massacres”.
The 992-page French report, the result of a two-year investigation, said that France was blinded by its colonial stance towards Africa towards events leading to genocide and, as a result, bore “serious and overwhelming” responsibility.
The violence broke out after a plane carrying then-President Juvenal Habyarimana, an ethnic Hutu, was shot down on April 6, 1994.
The French report states: “A binary pattern was adopted which was opposed on the one hand to the Hutu friend represented by President Habyarimana, and on the other hand to the enemy qualified as ‘Ugandan Tutsi’ to designate the RPF.” [Rwandan Patriotic Front] . “
“At the time of the genocide, [France] was slowly breaking with the transitional government that was perpetrating it. (…) It reacted late with Operation Turquoise, which saved many lives but not that of the vast majority of Tutsi in Rwanda, who were exterminated in the first few weeks of the genocide, “the report added, laying down a number of responsibilities firm, heavy and overwhelming. “
The Rwandan government previously charged French officials with complicity and French soldiers with rape and murder. The French government denied these claims, despite former President Nicolas Sarkozy admitting “mistakes” in 2010.