Mike Ashley “confident that he can finally sell Newcastle for £ 300m as he announces to the Saudi consortium, led by Amanda Staveley, that it is ready to close a deal within a month”
- Mike Ashley thinks he can close the £ 300million sale on Newcastle soon
- Ashley told the consortium, led by Amanda Staveley, that it was ready to close a deal
- The Newcastle owner was embroiled in a lengthy legal battle with the Premier League
- The consortium wanted to buy Newcastle last year but pulled out
Newcastle owner Mike Ashley reportedly believes he can close the £ 300million sale soon.
As reported by The Sun, Ashley has informed the Saudi Arabian consortium led by Amanda Staveley that it is ready to close a deal within a month.
Ashley was embroiled in a lengthy legal battle with the Premier League and took them to the Competition Appeal Tribunal after the consortium dropped out of a contract last year.
Mike Ashley is confident of closing Newcastle’s £ 300m sale soon
Ashley told the Saudi Arabian consortium, led by Amanda Staveley, it should be ready within a month
Ashley has kept in touch with Staveley and the hearing is set to begin next Friday.
In addition, a separate arbitration will take place in July.
The consortium consists of Staveley’s company PCP Captial Partners as well as PIF and Reuben Brothers.
Ashley was embroiled in a lengthy legal battle with the Premier League and took them to the Competition Appeal Tribunal
A deal was struck last year, but it ultimately failed as Premier League lawyers struggled to pinpoint the link between the consortium and the Saudi state.
However, Ashley, who bought Newcastle in 2007, insists that the Premier League’s big six – Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal – didn’t want the takeover as they were careful the Magpies could too become a great force.