The ECB is shaken by a new Twitter storm when another racist tweet from an unnamed English gamer is exposed …
- English cricket faces further turmoil after another racist tweet was exposed
- Wisden.com masked the identity of a player who shared the racist post
- The website gave details of the post and that it was 15 years old at the time
- Ollie Robinson was suspended after historic racist and sexist tweets
English cricket faces further turmoil after another racist tweet from an unnamed current player was exposed by a website.
Wisden.com chose to disguise the identity of the player, who was 15 at the time of the tweet, but included details of the post including “You’re dating an Asian” and three hashtags: “Asianthroughandthrough”, “hweolloo” and ‘c **** y’.
Sportsmail knows the identity of the cricketer who appeared in test matches this year but does not disclose him because he was a minor at the time of the tweet. It was unclear whether the ECB would appoint him on Tuesday.
English cricket faces further turmoil after another racist tweet from an unnamed current player was exposed by a website
Ollie Robinson has been banned from international cricket pending an investigation after historical racist and sexist tweets were unearthed last week
The reveal comes just five days after racist and sexist tweets from Ollie Robinson were unearthed on the day he made his test debut at Lord’s last week.
Robinson is now banned from international cricket pending an investigation into the tweets. An ECB spokesman said: “We have been made aware that an English gamer has posted historically objectionable material on his social media account. We are looking into this and will issue a further statement in due course. ‘
The discovery of another offensive tweet will enrag the ECB chiefs, who unveiled their new anti-discrimination campaign on the first morning of the first test against New Zealand at Lord’s last Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Michael Carberry has questioned Ollie Robinson’s future in cricket amid the historic racist and sexist tweets that led to his suspension for the second Test against New Zealand.
Michael Carberry questioned Robinson’s future in cricket after his suspension
The former English batsman stood out on his criticism of Robinson and English cricket, which he says he learned nothing from a year of attacking the game with repeated allegations of institutionalized racism.
“I thought, ‘Let’s go again,” said Carberry when asked how he reacted to the tweets Robinson sent nine years ago when he was 18.
“It confirms what I said last year that the game has a massive problem. And until people start looking into the problem, it won’t go away.
“Good thing the ECB suspended Ollie Robinson, but I would ask more questions. Why wasn’t that picked up years ago? Why has this guy got so far in his career and achieved what he has achieved at the highest level? ‘
When asked by Sky Sports News if there should be a policy of zero tolerance and that Robinson, who made his England debut at Lord’s, shouldn’t play cricket again, Carberry said, “Definitely. If he wants to go into rehab, he should do it on the sidelines. ‘
The former English batsman was harsh in his criticism of Robinson and the ECB
Robinson had previously received government support when Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden tweeted, “Ollie Robinson’s tweets were offensive and false. They are also a decade old and written by a teenager. The teenager is now a man and has rightly apologized. The ECB is exaggerating in suspending it and should reconsider it. ‘
But Carberry said, “I have no respect for Oliver Dowden’s comments because this is a guy who has never been discriminated against.”
England coach Chris Silverwood has refused to give Robinson, who is threatened with further action by the ECB, any guarantees that he will play test cricket again. Sussex, meanwhile, will decide on Tuesday whether Robinson will play in his first Twenty20 Blast games later this week.